Although the population has not altered greatly in recent centuries, the dwellings have more than doubled in this period. In 1801 there were 34 houses and by 1891 the number had reduced to 32. But by 2009 it had increased to 71, reflecting two phases of council houses started in the late 1940s and small private developments on the edge of the village. There has been good use of the attractive local limestone even in more recent years.
Many old cottages have been rebuilt or materially altered and no thatched roofs remain. Sometimes all is not what it first seems – a building being stone fronted but brick at the rear.
Three houses of architectural interest are as follows:
(Main photograph: North side of Thorpe Mandeville, looking east - parish church in the foreground, c2005)