Thorpe Mandeville, Northamptonshire
Welcome to the website dedicated to the history of the parish of Thorpe Mandeville. Set in the rolling hillsides of south-west Northamptonshire, six miles north-east of Banbury, the rural parish comprises about 1030 acres (417 hectares). The short, west boundary borders Oxfordshire.
The village may have originated as a Danish settlement - Thorpe is an Old Norse name for a village (Mandeville is a corruption of Amundeville – Richard de Amundeville was lord of the manor during the thirteenth century.) The population has not altered greatly in recent centuries, rarely exceeding 200.